top of page

What Training do I Need to Work in Health and Social Care?

Considering a career in Health and Social Care, but unsure how to go about it? Or maybe you’re already working in Health and Social Care and are looking to gain some formal qualifications to progress your career further.

We’ve put this post together to outline what you’ll need to consider when looking at a career in Health and Social Care, and what qualifications you’ll need.

Why work in Health and Social Care?

Working in Health and Social Care can be incredibly rewarding, as you are helping people to get the most out of their everyday life. You can work in a wide range of sectors from early years settings, supporting people at home or at work, care homes and helping adults when they need a little extra help. No two days will be the same, and you can enjoy a varied and rewarding role.

Roles can be in either direct care, managerial, or ancillary such as activities workers. There are lots of opportunities to develop and progress.

Health and Social Care employers

Social care accounts for 7.9% of all Scottish employment, and is mainly made up of people employed on permanent contracts. Housing support/care at home employment accounts for the largest proportion of roles, followed by children’s daycare roles.

Are soft skills important?

Yes, soft skills are very important. Working in health and social care isn’t just about academic ability, it’s about how you interact with clients as a person. This is where your soft skills come into action, and your ability to work with a wide variety of people.

A Question of Care, has a great question and answer tool to provide an insight into working in care, and what it involves. You work through a series of video clips of day-to-day situations, to see how you would respond, and after answering the questions it creates a personal profile for you.

Do I need to be registered to work in Health and Social Care?

Health and Social Care is regulated in Scotland by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). They register social workers, social care, pupil support and early years workers and set standards for practice, conduct, training, and education.

Most job roles within this sector must be registered with the SSSC - you’ll need to apply for registration within six months of starting a new role.

What qualifications do you need to work in Health and Social Care?

You can start in health and social care without any formal qualifications, and then undertake an SVQ2 / SVQ 3 in areas such as Social Services and Healthcare or Social Services Children and Young People .

These are work based qualifications and are designed for learners who work in a practical “hands-on” care environment. They are designed specifically for people who are fully supervised in their day-to-day work.

What’s involved in the training?

The qualifications consist of mandatory units which reflect the core values and ethics expected to be demonstrated by every worker. You also study for optional units which you can tailor to your work setting and role.

Full details of the courses can be found in our Accredited SVQ Courses in Health and Social Care page.

Do I have to sit an exam?

No, there are a variety of assessment methods including reflective accounts, which evidence your knowledge, as well as both practical and observed assignments.

There isn’t a pass or fail, you can resubmit your accounts until the requirements are fully satisfied.

How long does it take to complete the SVQ?

On average it takes 12 months to complete the course. Your assessor will work with you to devise a timetable to fit in with your work and family commitments.

Do I have to complete the whole SVQ?

You can take individual modules. It’s ideal if you want to evidence competence in a new role.

Open Badges

Open Badges are digital certificates which recognise learning and achievement. They are designed to provide recognition for informal learning and to evidence continual learning and development. You can use these to develop any particular areas of special interest you may have.

Is there any funding available?

There is a range of funding available for employers to upskill their workforce. The Scottish Funding Council’s Flexible Workforce Development Fund has been set up to help businesses access up to £15,000 of support

How to check if your training provider is suitably accredited.

When looking for a training provider make sure that they are suitably accredited. SVQ qualifications should be delivered by an SQA Approved Centre.

If you’re looking at following the non SVQ route make sure training provider is accredited by The CPD Standards Office

Supportive Solutions’ Approach

We’ve been delivering training in the Care Sector since 2016. Our trainer/assessors have worked in the sector and will make sure you get the most out of your qualification.

We understand that you have other commitments, and we’ll support you every step of the way. You’ll have an induction session with your trainer/assessor, and you’ll be provided with an induction booklet outlining the course, which is packed full of handy hints and tips.

If you’ve got any questions at all, please contact us to learn more.



Kayleigh is kept busy balancing studying, working, and bringing up her daughter! She has been in her current role for nearly 6 years, working at a Jewish care home for Newcross Healthcare.

Kayleigh wants to progress to a more senior role within her company and is studying with Supportive Solutions for an SVQ 3 in Social Services & Healthcare (SCQF Level 7).

“I have had a great experience with Supportive Solutions. Dawn, my assessor has been more than helpful and very friendly. The staff in the office have also been very helpful whenever I’ve had any questions. I would recommend them to everyone.”


Thanks for subscribing!

bottom of page